Light and lighting technologies are essential to modern daily life, touching on its every aspect. These technologies require well-founded knowledge, both fundamental and applied, to ensure that they can be used with confidence in their safety and quality. CIE publications provide that confidence. They are based on the strongest available scientific evidence and follow a rigorous review and ballot process. To develop consensus-based documents fit for the future requires that scientists engage now in building the knowledge base that will support them.
The research topics listed here are those judged by the CIE as needing immediate attention by the research community in support of developments in lighting technology and application. Publications in the peer-reviewed literature on these topics will provide the basis for the next generation of CIE technical reports and standards.
Industry, academia, and research institutes alike can take inspiration from this list of research topics. CIE particularly invites allied fields – medicine, engineering, information technology and others – to join with us in addressing these complex questions. CIE calls on national and international research funders to create opportunities that will enable the research community to provide this necessary support to the CIE. Together, we thus will satisfy the needs of industry, regulators, and the public for knowledge, standards, and guidance so that all can enjoy the best possible light.
Top Priority Topics
- Recommendations for Healthful Lighting and Non-Visual Effects of Light
- Colour Quality of Light Sources Related to Perception and Preference
- Integrated Glare Metric for Various Lighting Applications
- New Calibration Sources and Illuminants for Photometry, Colorimetry, and Radiometry
- Adaptive, Intelligent and Dynamic Lighting
- Application of New CIE 2006 Colorimetry
- Visual Appearance: Perception, Measurement and Metrics
- Support for Tailored Lighting Recommendations
- Metrology for Advanced Photometric and Radiometric Devices
- Reproduction and Measurement of 3D Objects
Letters of Support for Reserch Proposals from the CIE
The CIE as a scientific organization, with contributing stakeholders from the fundamental and applied research community (be this academic or industry based), will provide letters of support for research funding applications. Such letters will be written provided that the research described in the research proposal is a topic contained in the scope of the CIE and will contribute to current CIE research priorities (as listed in CIE Research Strategy) or other current CIE technical work.